How do my students feel about this issue? What are their plans for future? Are they contemplating the idea of moving away to another country? These questions kept swarming in my head, bothering me for days. So, I wrote a story with the idea to use it as a prompt for class discussion.
1. What has Ana decided to do?
2. Why was she looking around her bedroom?
3. What did she see?
4. Who helped her with the luggage?
5. How did she feel about leaving?
6. Was she sure about her making the right decision?
7. How did she justify her choice?
Questions to be discussed in class
1. Do you think Ana has made the right decision?
2. How do you feel about the fact that so many young educated people leave the country?
3. Have you ever thought about leaving Serbia?
4. Do you think leaving is the solution?
5. What could be the alternative?
6. Do you think your generation can make a difference and reverse the trend?
Since I am going to deal with this issue later this week, can you suggest any other questions I might use?